Tuesday, February 21, 2012

We've found Nemo--but where am I?

Sunday, February 19th, 2012 My alarm went off at 9am. Normally I’d hate that anyway, but this morning it was especially horrendous as I’d gone to bed at the illness inducingly late hour of 5:30am. I sludged out of bed and reluctantly woke Angela up so she could let me out of the house and we both hoped the doorman would be downstairs, otherwise she’d have to come down and let me out again. I guess that’s the downside about having doors that make it impossible to forget your keys—it traps anyone who doesn’t have their keys… I waited for bus 59 once again (59, you are my bus indeed!). After what seemed like an unbearable, greasy, eyes-glued-together and hungover 30 minutes, I arrived home and immediately crawled back into bed (after taking out those contacts). But for some reason I couldn’t fall back asleep. I actually felt wide awake. Like I could start my day now on only 4ish hours of sleep. WHAT?! WHO IS THIS PERSON?! Anyone who knows me knows that I need a minimum of 9 hours of sleep. I am completely useless without sleep and have an embarrassingly difficult time waking up. I thought maybe now would be a good time to watch some Family Guy, but then realized that Netflix Argentina doesn’t have it. Alright maybe Spongebob—god, just something that I don’t have to think about that will take me to my happy place. I settled on Finding Nemo. Because in addition to being a big sleepy baby, I am a big sleepy baby that likes big baby movies. The beginning always makes me cry, so I cried as I was curled up happily in my blankie. I thought I’d pass out in the first 20 minutes, but I stuck with Nemo, Marlin and Dory for the full 90 minutes. After the movie finished, I realized, hey, if Marlin, the uptight over-protective wet blanket he is can go on a huge journey and roll with the punches, I can too. I’m going to go out on more limbs here because while I’m not trying to find my kidnapped son, I am trying to find culture, adventure and my home away from home while finding friends to share this with, and spaces to share it in. And then I immediately passed out until 2:30 in the afternoon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment