Wednesday, February 15, 2012

El Tigre, La Langosta...


Saturday, February 11th, 2012
Today was our first excursion to the river delta to an area called El Tigre. We ferrocarriled then ferried for about an hour and a half to get to our bayou-esque destination. The whole time on the ferry I felt like I was in the south and I had that strange, but giddy feeling that any other traveler knows: “WHERE AM I? Oh yeah, that’s right, I’m traveling”. We all found it strange that this seemed to be a “vacation from a vacation” and that we’d only been in Buenos Aires for a week, yet we were already dying to get out.
We docked and within 20 minutes I was squishing around in the brown water. Though it’s not brown from pollution (merely the fact that it’s in a delta as well as the constant churning of the shallow water mixing with sand) I wouldn’t say it was entirely clean, but I tried to ignore this as the water washed over me. The “ocean” floor was very very squishy and I realized quickly that this was because the bottom of it was mostly a clay-like material. We dug up a big ball of it and coated ourselves in a mud bath. Maybe there were only heavy metals in there, but I’d like to pretend that it cleansed my skin…The perfect weather was cleansing too, and I can’t remember the last time I’d been in such perfect weather in a perfect place. I could spend paragraphs describing the environment and ambiance, but I think only a photo can do it justice. And so the day unfolded as such:


Bur our time in paradise was shortlived, and by 3:30, we were leaving, heading to Puerto de Frutos. Puerto de Frutos can best be described as an outdoor trinkets market as they have everything ranging from toys and jewelry to home décor. There’s a little bit of everything there. But nothing seemed to be for me and I refrained from purchasing anything, hardly exercising any restraint. Ok, fine, I bought a lemon popsicle. And oh how the sweet chill tickled my tongue. And it was a good thing it was so tasty, as by this point in the day I was so sunburned, I really considered holding the popsicle on my red lobster-colored shoulders.
While I’d thought the day couldn’t get any better, when we stopped for our merienda, I realized there was even more to look forward to. We ate our snack at an adorable restaurant that looked like a perfect lodge on the coast. We could see the ocean from where we ate, in addition to a grassy park filled with palm trees, Argentines enjoying mate, and the soothing sounds of people strumming on guitars. Additionally, we had a stunning (albeit hazy) view of Buenos Aires, as we still weren’t back in the city. While it might not be as famous or distinguishable as the New York skyline, it still inspired a lovelorn stare and I paused to reflect upon the fact that somewhere in that collection of buildings, my life was unfolding and would continue to unfold for the next few months. I wish this place was closer, as I gained a piece of mind there that I haven’t found anywhere else in this city yet.


As we rolled back into the city, tired and sunburned, all I could think of was how strange it seemed that a perfect day was so jam packed with activities, yet I really felt as though I did nothing at all—save for enjoy myself and soak up some sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment