Sunday, February 12, 2012

Nikkilude #3: Balance


Right now I feel off balance, like I’m playing a dangerous game with gravity and culture. I roll like a little marble to the edge of each extreme and just before I fall off, I speed towards the opposite end. At times I’m so homesick and regular sick of being here and dealing with feeling inane all the time because I’ll never fit in with my looks or Spanish; but at other times I feel completely fluid and move with the culture knowing that as soon as I come home it will be like I never left, but I, on the other hand, will want to leave (to BA).
I’m also having the realization of the differences between traveling internationally and living internationally; because of the former, I had fantasized the latter. At times I feel like I’m not doing enough to experience the culture, but at the same time I’ll be here for 10 months and need to pace myself this way. And keep in mind I’m also a student. During a vacation, you have maybe a week to get a grasp of the city and see what it has to offer. You eat out every night, spend much more money than normal and indulge when necessary. You have no obligations. This is not real life. And even though I wake up every morning believing this isn’t my real life, it is. Day to day, I live in Buenos Aires.

Right now I’m trying to live the Argentine equivalent of my life back home. By this I mean that I’m completely open to new experiences and want to be immersed in the culture, but every day can’t be a blowout. While I am on a mission to find the best empanadas, gnocchi and milanesa in town, I can’t go out to eat every night to figure this out. And yes, there are incredible events going on, cool destinations that I can’t miss and great shopping, but I’m definitely faced with social, financial, academic and physiological constraints just like you. Not to mention that it’s impossible anyways, especially given the Argentine relationship with time. But also like the Argentines, I’ll do what I feel when I feel like it.  While I’m not going to be content with coming home every night and sitting in my room, it’s ok to know that if I have a few days like that each week, I’m not missing out, because this isn’t a vacation, this is my life. Every day will be notable in its own way; different way from the last. I know when I leave I’ll have a million things that “I should have done” or I “wish I had time for”, but at the same time, I even feel this way at school (and if you know where I go to school, you know it’s a desert of boredom at times…), yet I’m constantly busy. Plus, sometimes the best adventures are the ones that aren’t so mapped out.

Overall, I think people have a very skewed perception of “experiencing culture”—honestly I get more “culture” trying to find something in a grocery store than I do from a tour at la Casa Rosada. My favorite memory from Paris wasn’t the Eiffel Tower, rather meandering the streets looking for lunch and finding the best pizza, speaking all the French I don’t actually speak and finding some cute stores where I bought unique items that I still love. And I think that’s what I’m looking for in Buenos Aires. I always imagined it as a place where I’d make intimate memories and often those are the ones you don’t find in the guidebook...

No comments:

Post a Comment