Sunday, March 11, 2012

Please tell me I packed my fat jeans.

Sunday, March 4th, 2012

Just when I thought being in Bariloche couldn’t get more sublime—it did. Because I remembered that the town is known for its ice cream and chocolate. Walking back down Mitre, it took approximately 10 seconds to encounter the treasure we were seeking. Gus needed his fix right away and got a ¼ kilo of ice cream. In case you didn’t read my blog about Argentine food basics, I will briefly explain ice cream the ice cream here: if the best Italian gelato had a sweet little love child with Ben and Jerry’s, it would be Argentine ice cream. The texture is smooth like gelato and served in the same style, but still firm enough that it’s not completely gelato. And instead of ill-fitting rounded scoops, they scoop them in gigantic cone shapes so that you can actually eat your cone safely knowing that it’s not going to plop right out of the cone.



I held out knowing that I was really in the mood for chocolate. After Gus mercilessly devoured his quarter kilo, we went to Rapa Nui. It had a Wonka-esque look about it with its purple décor and chocolate fountain pumping in a window. I fell victim as soon as the scent penetrated my nostrils. Luckily the prices were high enough to keep me from eating everything and I tried the Marroc (like Reese’s kind of, but without all the chemicals), milk chocolate with almonds and the mil de hojas which were thin layers of chocolate separated by thin layers of dulce de leche. It’s day one, Nikki…try to conserve the choc…oh did you eat all of it already? Should we get more, then?




Later we met up with Ryan to get dinner at El Boliche de Alberto (which is not actually a boliche, but a parilla). As you guys know, I have revised my food philosophy to 'Argentarian' whilst I am here, meaning the occasional consumption of legitimate Argentine beef is OK because in addition to it being a cultural necessity, the quality of meat here is actually maintained. While Ryan and Angela split the bife de lomo, Gus and I opted for the bife de chorizo with a huge plate of fries amongst the 4 of us. Although chorizo is a type of sausage, it’s definitely not sausage when you’re talking about steak in Argentina. Not long after we ordered, our meal arrived and our eyes feasted upon the sight just as much as we feasted upon the steak. Just like my previous experience at a parilla grill, the meat exceeded all expectations of what meat is and should be.

I KNOW Eating Animals is one of my favorite books ever written and there is no way to justify eating meat other than “it tastes good”, but eating this meat transcended what any of you may consider to be eating meat. It was a symphony for all the senses and the beef melted on my tongue. This is the kind of meat that would be offended by A1, ketchup or any additional flavorings or sauces because it alone represents the perfection of flame and flesh. I feel bad for eating meat, but at the same time, imagine if everybody only ate the best meat on earth just once a month. And Argentina has millions more cows than it does people, so I guess they have some to spare…I’m sorry cows. When I return, I’ll treat you as the precious Hindu object of worship you are.

And not a scrap was left on the table. 

No comments:

Post a Comment