Sunday, March 25, 2012

Nikkilude #8: Crybaby


If you’ve been keeping up (or have ever seen a Pixar movie with me) you know everything makes me cry. It’s not hard. I’m one of the few people still affected by violence, hardship and the cruelties of life, as well as the beauty, happiness and solace we find in it, too. If emotions were on a scale from 1-10 (1 being utter depression and 10 being sheer bliss), I’m generally crying from 1-3 and 7-10. Plus, I’m of the belief that crying is ok. It’s cathartic. I hate to cry in front of people, but if I must, then I must. People of the world, stop trying to make me stop crying. I’m not defective, I’m merely releasing pent up emotion in the only way possible.

So—I cry when I’m happy and sad, but I also cry when I am absolutely frustrated. And this is where this entry gains its relevance. If that square peg won’t fit in the round hole, I am up to my ears in tears.
Tuesday morning (at the ripe hour of 8am) I have my course with Argentines. Today was Tuesday and I was already frustrated because the colectivo took sooooo much time, thereby making me late despite the fact that I left reasonably early. While lateness is a given in Argentine culture, it’s forbidden in school, so I slinked to a seat in shame, upset by the fact that I’d missed 20 minutes of content and didn’t really know what was going on.

By the time I gained my bearings, our professor left for some breakfast she was attending, and our “substitute professor” entered and admitted that he was terrible at being sympathetic to foreign students so he would continue with his normal mode of speech which was indistinguishable and filled with words I was unfamiliar with. Ok, I can handle that, and I’m trying to accustom myself to the normal mode of speech here, which is just this, so I’ll pick up what I can. We continued with our review of the provinces, cities and activities in Argentina. We started going through Buenos Aires (Capital Federal) and the professor seemed to be amused by making me search hopelessly on a city map for intersections whose locations I didn’t know. Then students would make commentary and I know they weren’t making fun of me, but I had NO IDEA what they were saying because in addition to not being able to hear them at all, none of their words were distinguishable. A textual representation of how most people speak here would be this: “Síesunquilomboacá???(words I don’t know)???¿todobienno? Yeah, cause that’s not confusing. I enunciate everything and speak loudly, so anyone that mumbles and speaks quietly effectively renders me deaf—especially when they’re speaking Spanish, in which case I’m rendered deaf AND dumb.

The professor could see that I was getting confused so he would repeat himself in English. But if there’s anything I hate more than people mumbling everything, it’s that. Oh you don’t understand me? Let me just dumb it down for you in English. This happens a lot in stores or on the street. People ask me something or vice versa and then when they respond or I have to respond, I get confused because I can’t hear them very well due to background noise or the fact that they speak softly, a million miles an hour. But instead of speaking up or slowing down a little, they just say “oh you don’t speak Spanish, then?” I DON’T SPEAK SPANISH WHEN I CAN’T FREAKING HEAR WHAT WORDS YOU’RE SAYING. And then I get pissed off and feel stupid. I know it’s a little presumptuous to expect people to change their manner of speech for little foreign me, but at the same time, obviously I’m not from Argentina, so why do they act so taken aback? If somebody with okay-ish English was giving me the “uh oh I don’t understand you” face, I’d slow down and use different vocab, because even though their goal is fluency, you can’t be fluent if everything is flying over your head.

So with 20 minutes left in class, I could feel the tears coming on because I was starting to doubt my ability to be in this class because in addition to hardly knowing any details about Argentina’s provinces, I can’t understand any of the students, as nice as they are. Then that transgressed into me doubting my ability to leave this country with a solid grasp of Spanish. While I have already improved tremendously, it’s still difficult to understand movies without subtitles and it takes me at least 3 minutes to get accustomed to someone’s manner of speaking. And I would feel like I failed if I left here still having to think about conjugating verbs and making sure that there was concordance between masculine and feminine nouns and adjectives. I left class thinking: “what if I never get to the point where I can understand the students or the professor?”. Because to me, that translates as somewhat of a failure being that I’ll be here for 6 months total.
I tried to hold it together by telling myself it hasn’t been even 2 months yet, so I still have a lot of time and everybody improves so much when they study abroad. But at the same time, I’ve had students in my Spanish classes that had studied abroad before and they still sucked as much as I did. So how do I know for sure that I’ll really “get it”? Everybody makes it sound like this effortless, magical transition, and all you have to do is live abroad and you’ll magically be fluent, but that’s not how it happens. It’s hard and it doesn’t happen overnight. You get overwhelmed, you make mistakes, you don’t understand and your confidence gets shaken. This has never stopped me from trying to speak, because generally I succeed in communicating, but for this stupid class, I’d had enough.

I trudged to the ISA office, trying to hold back tears, wanting to cry more for feeling embarrassed about crying in the street. Everything takes effort in life, and I can handle this when it’s an effort that I’m in control of, like a project or something creative—but when it’s an effort out of my hands, like when I’m learning a new skill and I suck at it, I get so incredibly frustrated. I just wanna do it now and do it right. It’s a flaw, I know, to not be able to accept failure or inability to do something—some people are more inspired by their failure and at times, I am too. But usually I get upset with myself if I really can’t do it well and then I assume that I’m just a failure overall. Dramatic, yes, I know, I know, but as a person who generally succeeds and does things well 90% of the time, that 10% where I just fail is hard for me to take. I’m learning to handle it better, but for now, let me cry in the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment