Sunday, March 25, 2012

I never want to hear you complain about clogged servers on registration day again.


Thursday, March 15th, 2012

FINALLY. I finally have a solution to my crisis with my classes that was going on all this week. Monday was our registration day and I woke up nice and early to log in and sign up for my classes. But wait. I never received that email with my account information. It’s kind of hard to log in without that…By 9:30 I was in “I’m not panicking yet, but I don’t really like where this is going” mode until Angela told me the format of how to log into our school’s site. Oh. Magically mine worked (there were many other students that had received the email but nothing worked for them). 10 seconds later, I had all my classes added and it was a grand time. I arrived to the university with students in a panic. A lot of people had not had the same luck that I did and weren’t registered and some classes were already full.

I was thinking everything was fine and dandy until I realized by Thursday, two of my classes just weren’t going to cut it. I was at the 6 class capacity, so I had to drop one anyway, but neither class pleased me and I wanted to switch into the Latin American film class. I tried to make the switch online, but suddenly, my user name and password were invalid. What? I used this 3 days ago and didn’t make any account changes. How does that happen?? NOOOO!!!! I need to get out of these classes and into the other one. But it was not working.

Here’s the deal with technology in Argentina…I’m not saying it’s bad, because they do have it and when it works, it works. But in a lot of aspects, this type of technology is out of reach. We get it for cheap in the US because we buy it from China. Argentina has much different import policies. So it’s not that you can’t get the latest iPhone, it’s that it might be harder to find and by god you are going to pay through your nose for it because it’s not made in Argentina. The other side to technology here is the functionality of it. Like I said, when it works, it works. But when it doesn’t, well, I hope you weren’t trying to do anything important. Some technology is outdated, untrustworthy or just downright temperament. And that’s the rub. Things can stop entirely without warning and without remorse, but then start working with just as little notice. The world keeps going, though. For this, Argentines are incredibly flexible and creative in this sense.

After 4 visits to “the guy”, my account FINALLY worked. Somehow I was in the system on Monday, then by Thursday, I was apparently not a student at the university. Oh. Yeah. Ok, sure… Luckily, the film class I wanted had 15 extra spots, so I didn’t have to be on a waiting list. The good part of this whole debacle was that while initially I was very anxious and fearful that I wouldn’t get my class or that the solution to this would be tedious, after Monday, I just stopped caring.  After making my inquiry with the school and checking up on it, there was absolutely nothing else I could do, so I hoped for the best, then just stopped caring. It will work when it’s supposed to, if it’s supposed to I told myself. And guess what—it did!

The only bad thing was that I realized I didn’t want to be in the literature class after buying the $120 peso textbook for it and nobody would buy it off me…If you’re interested in reading Foucault or 19th century Spanish lit, let me know. I hate that I dropped the class for it being “too hard”, but at the same time, do I want to read ~40 pages a week of advanced text in Spanish? No. No I don’t. There’s a difference between challenging yourself and resigning yourself to a semester of highlighting every other word to look up on wordreference. This class would be difficult in English, too…

For more about my classes, however, see my other entry, “Description of my classes”. Original, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment