Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Feliz cumple, Ana!


Saturday, March 10th, 2012
Today was my host mom’s birthday, and much like women turning 30 in the US, she was a little unsure about the idea. And while I’m only 21, I remember being a lot younger thinking that 30 was so old, but in reality, it’s still so young. Especially because Ana could still pass for being in her 20s easily.
After returning from Bariloche, I headed to a librería (think school supply shop) to find some colored paper to make her a card. In addition to having AWFUL greeting cards here, I think in the course of my life, I’ve made 90% of the special-occasion cards that I’ve given to friends and family and Ana was no exception. I encountered a surprise at the librería when I found origami paper for one peso! I’m far from being even mediocre at origami, but when I have time, I love to practice my favorite folds and attempt some new ones. I’m a master at cranes so I bought 10 sheets for .50 USD and started thinking of a way I could use them for Ana’s card. Also, being a school supply fanatic, I couldn’t help but purchase them for my first day of school. I got everything for $50 pesos and while this isn’t necessarily a bargain, it’s still pretty cheap and totally worth the school supply high.

Once I returned from the store, I saw the kitchen in an organized disarray. Ana was baking her own birthday cakes! Cakes. Plural. She was making cheesecake, lemon meringue and some kind of nutty/coffee crumble cake. All of these by the magic of her hands. She generally always makes everything from scratch. I know we all have these nostalgic romantic fantasies about a “home cooked meal from scratch” and mine are no different. I’ve never had a from-scratch cheesecake. The closest I’ve gotten is a prepackaged crust and prepackaged cheesecake mix. This pales in comparison to the genius of Ana’s cooking. The worst part is that she never believes me on how incredible her culinary skills are. Probably because for her, it’s completely normal and she’s been doing it since childhood. But for me, almost never do I see “pure” ingredients going into a handmade cake. The convenience to make a cheesecake in less than 20 minutes is invaluable—but you’re always going to sacrifice taste and increase your chemical intake.

While I wanted to help her, I seemed to only be getting in the way and given that I didn’t have the recipe memorized, I wasn’t going to be much help. Plus with the food processor going every 2 minutes, it was hard to keep a conversation so instead, I passed the day Skyping with mi novio <3

After an afternoon of being overly social with my boyfriend, I realized that I probably appeared to be anti-social to my host family. Towards the end of our conversation, I began to hear people arriving to our house for Ana’s birthday and I opened my bedroom door into Ana’s family standing in the kitchen, huddling over food and adoring Ana’s niece.

The birthday party was interesting because while it was distinctively Argentine in terms of the conversation, hand gestures and manner of speech, if you only saw a photo of it, it would look like any familial get-together in the US due to the variety of food and drink in addition to the warmth (and loudness) of everyone towards each other. Later on in the evening I brought out my Rebel to photograph the priceless face of Ana’s niece, Sofia, but also because nobody else had a camera and I am on my mission to take more photos. The thing was that I wanted to snap candid photographs; capture the expressions and genuine Argentine sentiments. But I couldn’t do this because in addition to being one of the least conspicuous cameras around, Rebels are also incredibly noisy. You can definitely hear every snapshot. But regardless, I tried my best.


After the “family” birthday party, there was the party with Ana’s friends at a neighborhood bar. Obviously, I only knew Ana, Juan and the few people from the family party that happened to be here too. Once my roommate left around 2ish, I felt a little awkward because I’m not sure how to start a conversation in Spanish in a bar when I’m not drunk and I can barely hear anything with a group of people I don’t know, staring at me like “uhh, are you supposed to be here?”. But finally I had the guts to talk to Ana’s brother who introduced me to his friend who was intrigued by my being from the US. And then he asked me to dance.

When it comes to structured dance, I understand that if the man knows how to dance, you’re supposed to let him lead, and I try. I really try, but because I don’t know what to anticipate, it’s hard for me to just go with the flow, because I don’t know where the flow is coming from, nor where it’s going. For this, I probably looked like a Lego trying to dance, and my new friend laughed at me just telling me to relax. I have no idea what the exact style of dance was, but it involved this movement of shaking your bum without actually shaking your bum. It was in the hips and legs—kind of like bellydancing (which I learned the secret to this summer at my local library!). During a faster paced song, I was snatched away by the jumping, screaming group of women who I was glad to “be a part of”.

By 4 am, I was starting to get a little delirious despite the fact that I’d only had half of a beer 2 hours ago. I asked a noticeably more intoxicated Juan if I could go back to the house and he said sure. Given that we’d driven here and it was now 4am, I was a little nervous about walking home completely alone in Nuñez, but at the same time, there was no way I could wait any longer.

Finally rounding the corner to the apartment, I crashed in my tiny bed smelling of humidity and cigarettes—a smell that will always have a hint of BA to it, but a smell that I will never be fond of no matter how good the night was…

No comments:

Post a Comment