Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ser 5k


Sunday, May 6th, 2012

Today was the Ser 5k that passed through Puerto Madryn—an area in Buenos Aires devoted to the famous women of Argentina, as well as Puente de la Mujer, the famous bridge designed after the leg of a woman dancing tango. It reminds me of an airplane…but maybe that’s just because I’m not much of a dancer…
I got on the 152 heading towards Puerto Madryn. I had the instructions of where to get off, but the problem with the colectivos is that sometimes the stops aren’t based on the name of the street you’re on, or you may be on the same street for a long time so you can’t just say “oh I’m getting off at Santa Fe”. Luckily, within 30 minutes, the bus was packed full of women in neon green jerseys and my plan was to just follow them.
I got off the bus and immediately regretted not bringing a jacket because it was cold and windy. Summer is officially over, guys…I teamed up with some Argentines and they were impressed and happy that little foreign me was participating.

We arrived at the scene of the race and were greeted by thousands of others in neon green jerseys, young and old, short and tall, skinny and fat. Every type of woman there could be, which was exactly the demographic Ser was going for with this race. (Think of the Susan G. Komen race, because that’s essentially what this was as Ser is more or less the Yoplait of Argentina). There was some Katy Perry pumping in the background as people stretched, danced or jetted around, practicing their running posture.
Finally, it was time for the race and I joined the huge crowd in anticipation. With my two new friends, we started the race. The first kilometer we had to walk because it was so crowded—but that was fine because we could all keep track of each other. But as soon as I took it up to a light jog, I lost my chicas…oh well…I guess among 7000 women all dressed alike, you might lose somebody…

The kilometers passed rapidly and I was so happy that despite not having ran for about 4 months, I was still in good form. I’m not saying it was my best time (and I later found out I got 1000th-ish place…) but I wasn’t in pain and I was running the whole time. As I passed the finish line, I got more Ser goodies as well as a medal (YEAH I RAN A 5K IT WAS SO HARD!!!!). I somehow managed to meet up with Angela, who also ran and had the genius idea of standing in a key location that she knew I’d have to pass by eventually. Proud, sweaty and happy, we walked back to the Subte and from there, to the day of studying and homework that awaited us. It felt good to be a woman, but terrible to be a student.

And for future reference, I will be wearing my racing jersey all the time when I am back in the US at the rec center. Prepare yourselves for the neon green glory that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment