Thursday, May 31, 2012

Nikkilude #11: The problem with too much free time


My homework schedule back in the states is usually so hellacious, I often dream of what it would be like to just not have any. Wish granted. In Argentina, I have virtually no homework in comparison to my normal workload. Sure there are some readings and assignments here and there that I can’t skip, but then there are the “obligatory readings” that are quite the opposite. I should be reading them because my comprehension level and reading speed would drastically increase were I reading 20+ pages in Spanish daily…but am I really going to do that? No.

So now that I have all this free time that I always dreamed of, as well as classes that start late, I’m sure you’re thinking, “Nikki! That’s perfect! Now you can have productive mornings, make a well balanced lunch and have time to enjoy Buenos Aires after class!”. And you’re right. If by productive morning you mean waking up around 11 (with GREAT difficulty), a well balanced lunch in the sense that I put an apple in one pocket and an orange in the other and enjoying Buenos Aires in the sense that I walk 5 blocks to get to my bus stop. WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

I think we all think, “if I just had more free time, I could do what I wanted” and to a degree this is true. But I have passed this point and now I have so much free time that I do absolutely nothing with it. I wake up late and go to bed even later. This makes me tired during the day, therefore making it impossible to feel motivated to do anything after class, much less take more public transport to go see another part of the city or do hw. Especially when the hw isn’t obligatory or will only take me a short while to finish. I hate myself for this. Here I am in Buenos Aires for just 6 short months and I am WASTING TIME BY NOT DOING ANYTHING. And if I’m not going to explore the city, I should at least be doing things to practice my Spanish instead of being on Reddit, Facebook or god knows what else for hours at a time. I have a horrible internet and sleep addiction which has basically reduced my daily life to doing nothing. Literally. 3 hours will pass and I can’t even explain what I’ve been doing. I’m not even reading the news or something intellectual. I’m literally watching TV, looking at pictures or chatting with friends. My how the mighty have fallen.

So I had this realization—I am the type of person who needs to be busy, because if I’m not, I retrogress into this lazy person that has all these idealistic desires (exercise! eat healthy! read scholarly articles! participate in cultural activities! you have the time, finally!) but fails to actually execute any of them.

Lately, I have been trying to study for my midterms and get ready for finalsand realized that since being away from my hellaciously stressful homework load in the US and having this abundance of spare time, I have adopted some very Argentine attitudes towards homework—primarily the attitude of “whatever”. I at least made study guides for every class and have been studying, but at the same time, I can’t study for more than 30 minutes without taking a break or getting distracted. It’s absolutely horrendous. It’s not that I’m not taking this seriously, it’s just that it doesn’t feel like it warrants a lot of effort. I have constantly had 5000 hours of homework every week of my life for as long as I can remember and for the first time, I am free—so all I want to do is nothing. It’s embarrassing. But it’s human nature, isn’t it? It doesn’t matter where in the world you are. You could be on the trip of your dreams, but if you’re tired and hungry, you’re not going to focus on much else. Further, as much as I’d like to think I have great self control, I am learning I don’t. As much as I always dreamed of having free time like this, it actually makes me less productive and unhappier.

Buenos Aires, land of more contradictions and difficult self realizations…

No comments:

Post a Comment