Saturday, May 12, 2012

"Contemporary, experimental Argentine films"


Friday, April 27th, 2012
As if the storyteller wasn’t weird enough, Angela, Olivia and I were about to embark on an even weirder journey to “contemporary, experimental argentine film” at “El ver de los árboles”. To me this sounded like the type of dreamy independent movie I was craving more of after BAFICI, despite the fact that while I was watching them, I felt disappointed. It wasn’t until a day or so after the movies that I truly realized that I enjoyed them. And when we arrived to our destination, the flyer seemed to indicate that that was exactly the type of movie we were about to see.

There was an art exhibit to pass through while we waited for the “theater” to prepare. I genuinely enjoyed the exhibit, which featured complex tangles of wires that came to life as projected light passed over them. Sometimes it looked like they were red hot with electricity, other times it looked like something a little on the galactic side—like a shooting star that kept going. It was absolutely captivating and I regretted not having my camera.

After the exhibit, we had high hopes for the art that was about to unfold before our eyes on film. The first film was no more than a minute long and showed just a few shots of a horse next to its mother, barely moving, until finally at the end you could see it moving. Ok. Not really what I was expecting, but 3 more to go. The next movie was supposed to be about a trip to Pamplona in the 70s as told through a diary, so I imagined “The Sun Also Rises” more or less taking place in the 70s. But again, the film wasn’t exactly normal and while there was somewhat of a plot (a fighting couple trying to recoup their love through this trip) so much was left unsaid. And unshown, as many images were blotted out with some sort of film-dissolving acid or the images reprojected on top of each other.

But that was nothing compared to the third film which was 20 minutes of dropping some type of acid onto the film that made it dissolve over the scene of a little boy on the beach with his family. Literally. 20 minutes of watching film dissolve. You know the expression “I’d rather watch paint dry”, well I think this was the film equivalent of that. Additionally, there was an even worse version of Boards of Canada playing in the background. I thought it was never going to end. It was worse than the time I had to see Transformers 2 in theaters and kept hoping every fade to black was the end credits coming on). And even though she kept her head forward the whole time, I could tell Angela was giving me a mental death glare.

The fourth film finally started and was more or less a movie shot with very old film showing no more than a guy driving through what I presume to be somewhere in the Buenos Aires province. Again, it was unnecessarily and painfully long. And finally it ended and again, we couldn’t believe what we’d just sat through.

I’m sure you’re thinking, Nikki, why on earth would you choose to see this AND bring a friend to suffer, too!? Because the pamphlet didn’t indicate any of this nonsense. Below are selections of the descriptions of the films, so you can understand the romantic fantasies I’d imagined:

“Un viaje a Pamplona en los 70. Detrás de los bellos relatos en los diarios de viaje, se esconde una historia de amor y fastidio.” (A trip to Pamplona in the 70s. Hidden in the beautiful tales of the travel journal is a story of love and upsets.)
“Un hombre realiza un viaje en auto con un oscuro objetivo en el que intentará borrar los rastros que ha dejado.” (A man goes on a road trip with the dark purpose to try and erase the faces of those he has left behind.)
“Un instante, el preciso momento en que cambia la luz y se percibe movimiento. El acto de mirar. La transformación de los colores, de las formas de los modos de hacer.” (An instant, the precise momento where the light changes and one sees movement. The act of watching. The transformation of colors, of the forms of the modes of being.)

See? Don’t those sound mystical? Now I know that “contemporary, experimental” films really just mean a guy dropped some chemicals over film and made a 20 minute movie about it then forced an innocent public to watch his self indulgent art.

Yep. This. For 20 minutes, in addition to: 
This. With music more horrible than this:

Once it was over, Angela and I were even more dumbfounded than after the storytelling event. We couldn’t help but wonder, however, what the point was. We tried to put ourselves in the directors shoes and really ask ourselves, ok, what would be the purpose of making this movie and why would we show it this way, in this form (for this amount of time…)? And really, I guess that’s the point of art. And as I realized years ago, one can never say what is and isn’t art (really, play the game with yourself and you’ll find that even a dumpster is art in its own right). But there is such a thing as “too much art” and these films were it. I challenge any hipster to watch "abc etc" by Sergio Subero and tell me they really, truly enjoyed all 20 minutes of it and can tell me why.

No comments:

Post a Comment