Saturday, March 26, 2011

Blondie's last day

My last day in Korea, you’d expect that I did something crazy, but being that my night before was crazy enough, I welcomed the mellow farewell ceremony that premiered the video documenting our trip. How our cameraman edited all that footage in time for the ceremony, I will never know, but we were all laughs as we watched candid moments captured on our journey. Not having anything planned from 1-5 we were free to roam about wherever we wanted and once again, I went to Sinchon because it is across the street from Yonsei, where we held the ceremony.

Being the only non-Asian and blonde girl for my entire walk through the city, I was greeted by stares and raised eyebrows. Although Seoul has tourists, many of them are from other Asian nations, so I really stuck out like a sore thumb. I found my way back to the guts of the alleyway markets and went on my mission to find the perfect pair of high heels. Not so much for my own enjoyment, but for someone else’s…

I found a perfect, sexy pair of red pumps, but was dismayed to find that they had an uncompromising smear on the side. Maybe a Mr. Clean magic eraser could have done the trick, but I didn’t want to risk it. Even though they were only $10 dollars…but you can’t have smudged red pumps. It just doesn’t work…Despite my 2 hours of shopping and browsing, I failed to find pumps that either fit properly or were affordable. I did manage to find yet more makeup, a devilish spider ring and a mod looking watch (I decided I’m going to try and do watches now)…

Once again, I took the subway back to the hotel, and gracefully arrived at the perfect time to depart for the performance, Nanta. Nanta can best be described as Ratatouille meets Stomp meets the Marx Brothers. But I love cooking, cheesy comedy and rhythm so I was absolutely in love with it. The actors/drummers/performers did an incredible job using random kitchen items (including sharp knives and actual vegetables) to make intense rhythmic patterns and beats. I was in total awe watching them create complex rhythms as though it were nothing. If you’re ever in Korea, I recommend it! During the performance, there was a call for an audience member and I was sitting in an aisle seat, so the actor picked me to come on stage. They fed us soup (that tasted like mac and cheese sauce—something I gladly accepted the taste of) and somehow that led to my marrying the other random audience member on stage with me. I feel like this happens a lot that I get married without my realizing it…especially in foreign countries…

Once the performance was over, we headed back to enjoy our last meal and last night together. After “the last supper”, I headed back to my room to load all the pictures from my camera on to my new USB drive that the Korea Foundation gave us (get this, the USB can be used as a cell phone charm!!) and started uploading some of them to Facebook (which is going to take FOREVER to do). I have almost a thousand pictures. Normally, I edit all my photos, but being that there are almost 1000, I made no adjustments unless necessary…Having stared at my screen for 2 hours, I decided it would probably be a good idea to start packing. I dumped everything on my bed and went through all my purchases, delighted at all of them and imagining where I could use or wear them. I can’t wait to try everything out and give people their gifts!

2 hours later, my bags were packed and somehow everything fit in my main suitcase and my 2 carry on bags. I even managed to keep my checked bag under 50 pounds! Reluctantly, I crawled into bed. I took one last look at the night skyline visible from my window, knowing I would probably not see this view ever again. I was excited to know I would be going home in the morning to come, but sad to know that I was leaving Korea behind...

No comments:

Post a Comment