Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Un poquito de Quito

Friday, May 31st, 2013

So as I was saying that once you talk to people, they often treat you like a good friend or family, Edisón took us on a mini excursion through Quito to show us around without all the tourist BS (which would have been nice Thursday…haha). First we went to Itchimbí park, which sits on a nice hill overlooking all of Quito. In addition to being a great view, you can catch up on your fresh air and nature. It’s not necessarily very big, but is home to some nice jogging paths and an expo hall that sits in front of a big lawn where there are concerts and festivals. We stopped at un mirador to get a better peek of the city, which seems to extend infinitely into the valley surrounded by volcanoes. 

From here we went to other notable places around town, primarily a lot of cathedrals, which are all so beautiful inside. I’m not religious at all, but I can’t help but stand in awe of not just the architecture but the decoration inside. It’s just so intricate that you could stare at it forever and not see every detail. The only thing is, it still really bothers me that not only did they force the native inhabitants to be their construction slaves, but they didn’t even let them attend the mass in this beautiful building they constructed unless they stayed outside on the steps. This is why it’s always baffling to me to understand why Catholicism has such a huge following in “Latin America” because not only did it enact a literal and cultural genocide in favor of European, Christian norms and people, but also it justified this in the name of God, which seems to contradict the whole idea of what Christianity was based on. God loves you—unless you’re brown. This isn’t to say that if you’re Catholic that you are in support of this, but it seems like the most extreme instance of the Stockholm Syndrome to date…

Ok, now that I’ve probably thoroughly upset some people, back to the city tour…

We were stopped in La plaza de San Francisco and decided we couldn’t wait any longer for a bite to eat. It was a really touristy area, so we probably could have walked 5 blocks and gotten something just as authentic for half the price (and seriously, you need to share plates here because they are huge). I ordered a salad because despite how delicious locro (cheesy potato soup) and empanadas are, I’m sure they eventually will start to take a toll on my waistline which already suffered the consequences of a stressful semester. Not to mention my diet the entire month of May was mostly comprised of cheese anyways…But speaking of cheese, it came with Edisón’s hot chocolate. At first thinking it was perhaps the greatest, richest snack combo ever invented, I realized that it was about to get richer as he dunked the cheese cubes into the chocolate and slurped it all up in his spoon. OMG. It’s like an Argentine submarino on crack. YUM. I didn’t try any, but I’m putting it on my snack radar. Meanwhile I sipped on my mate de coca, which I think is even earthier than la yerba mate. Really, it’s like dirtleaf tea. And I mean that in the most loving way possible, because its effects and supporting culture are magical.

As if lunch wasn’t great enough, we went to La Ronda, the classic colonial style street in  Quito which was restored and preserved. The houses in this area have a cute little open area plaza in the middle, surrounded by the rest of the house. I think I need a house like this…But more than architecture, we were there to study another Ecuadorian classic: el canelazo. While I’m still not sure of what the alcohol inside is, I do know that it’s ridiculously strong. Mixed with hot naranjilla juice (think oranges, but a little bit more tart) and cinnamon, it warms the body in more ways than one. Being a baby when it comes to alcohol, I was a bit nervous and didn’t want to make that “ewww gross!” face that seizes up every time I even smell vodka. But in all honesty, I think canelazo is delicious. It slides down your throat, warming as it goes y te pones muy hhhappy, as Edisón said. While some others in the group were having a few doubts about it, I was sipping mine down pretty fast—but I had to keep in mind the high alcohol content. I can see how that would get pretty dangerous…But for now, I’ll just be hhhhappy.


With floating heads and warm hearts, we had to bid Edisón farewell. Who knows if I’ll ever get to see him again…I wish him the best in his plight to get to Portugal and am so glad to have met such a kind, funny quiteño. ¡Siempre estás bienvenido a los EEUU!

No comments:

Post a Comment