Saturday, June 8, 2013

Nikkilude #3: The Sounds of Loja

I haven’t even been in Loja a week, but there are definitely a lot of notable lojano sounds. More to come as they invade my eardrums…

1.       That ice cream man truck sound you hear all day is actually a propane truck. Not only does the annoying 7 note song alert homeowners that they can get some propane (which fuels the city), but also alerts drivers as to the fact that they are driving near a highly flammable vehicle. Either that or it’s alerting you about the garbage man, which plays a sad sounding song that is a lojano classic. I hear them so frequently that I’m starting to think I hear them even in utter silence.
2.      El español lojano es muy fácil a entender. Lojano Spanish is really easy to understand. It’s not only a bit slower, but clearer too—sure there are times when I have to ask people to speak up or slow down, but overall I don’t feel like I’m about to go on a linguistic rollercoaster ride every time I tell somebody hello. But this also makes my Argie accent reeeeeally pronounced and some people get confused because I can’t pass for being Argentine based on how I look, but based on the bombilla I’m sucking mate out of and my accent, they don’t know whether or not to say “Hello” or “Qué tal”. 
3.      Fireworks are randomly shot off all the time, regardless of it being early morning or late night. I have no idea why or where people even buy them because they sound like pretty big ones. I have yet to actually see it in the sky though.
4.      Rain and wind are common sounds you’ll hear here, at least during the rainy season that is—which is conveniently right now! It’s not really about if it will rain, but when and what kind of rain it will be. Loja is very prone to misting too…

5.      Barking dogs. Not unlike Argentina, Ecuador is home to homeless dogs. Some are pretty mellow and have that look in their eyes that reminds you of those depressing Sarah McGloughlin pet commercials. Others are mangy and you wouldn’t want to touch them with a ten foot pole.

No comments:

Post a Comment