Sunday, April 22, 2012

Our little family


Saturday, April 21st, 2012
So my host family bought a Wii just recently and it would probably be the understatement of the year to say that they really like it. Juan especially. After a delicious dinner of some sautéed mozzarella and homemade empanadas, Juan told us it was time for us to play Wii and set up our Wii Fit profiles. Mostly so he could see if it was going to tell us we were fat and had bad balance and posture ;)

Apparently my Wii Fit age is 46, which is great, because it told me I had a healthy BMI, good center of gravity but a mediocre sense of balance. WHAT!? How does that mean I’m 46? Whatever. More motivation I guess. Now I see what Juan was talking about…

I embarrassed myself in the skiing game because I missed 7 gates. But it’s a lot harder than it looks...and I snowboard...that's my excuse...But just like everything else Nintendo, it was totally fun. Once we’d been mortified for long enough, we played the classic Wii Sports, starting with tennis. Things were getting especially hilarious because Ana had been enjoying a spot of vino and drunk Wii is not only fun to play but to watch as well. But for being tipsy, she was doing pretty good. Juan of course was the reigning champion of everything (is there a gene passed on to males that makes them good at every video game known to man?) despite my putting up a good fight in boxing. I actually got my heart rate up on that and could feel the soreness in my arms. Maybe I will start playing this every day…! Especially if it means I can beat Juan at something after I practice at it. He’ll get so mad!!

Once we’d played just a nice round of golf (where I channeled my 4 golf lessons in 2007 to score 2nd place) we ordered ice cream and started a movie. At 2 am. I love this country.

Throughout the whole night, we were laughing and poking fun at each other and enjoying all the games. It was like the classic family night. Minus the fact that we’re not the classic family. But I don’t even care, because at this rate, family to me means people that you love and want to spend time with who will be there for you and I think Juan and Ana definitely fall under that category. Tonya and I can be their inexplicably old children…despite the fact that I felt like a kid again*.




*Which was furthered by the fact that while channel surfing, The Angry Beavers was on!
Me: OMG! This show is from my childhood! I haven’t seen it in forever.
Juan: What? Your childhood ended like 2 months ago. Stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment