Sunday, April 22, 2012

The meaning of life in Mendoza

Friday, April 6th, 2012
Despite the fact that part of our judgment told us it was a bad idea to meet back up with our Argie grandpa figure from the day before, we figured since we were in a public place and just getting some coffee (at Dun Ken not to be confused with Dunkin), we’d be fine. Once again, he was delighted to see us and commenced with the typical talk of politics, travel and world problems. We sat and listened while he finally stopped to ask why we weren’t talking—because it’s hard to talk when someone else is?

While taking some tea and coffee, we also tried tortitas, a special type of bread in Mendoza. It’s a round piece of thin, flaky bread that is a little on the dryer side but still tasty nonetheless and perfect with tea. Though I wouldn’t say they beat medialunas…

Later in the day Angela was at Good Friday mass, so I resumed my Nat Geo reading at Plaza Independencia. I’d read maybe half a page about exotic insects that have the ability to disguise themselves amongst the plants when I was interrupted by yet another viejo that stopped to ask me “Sos escritora?” (Are you a writer?) Well…I guess that depends on your definition of writer. I mean, I’m currently on page 104 of writing my story in Argentina. While this is by far some of my worst writing stylistically (spontaneous, colloquial, raving…) it is writing nonetheless, so I told him yes I was. I expounded further by telling him that I wanted to be a writer for the very publication I was reading. And once again, a conversation about life began. I have these types of conversations all the time at home, but normally amongst my closest friends—not just any random person who walks up to me in the park.

We talked about the meaning of life. Literally. While I’m of the school of thought that the point of life is merely just living, I think the best part of being able to do that is through all the people you meet and the shared human experience that regardless of where you are is more or less the same. And as a hopeless romantic, I can’t really say I’d enjoy my existence here without love and what better exemplifies the human experience than that? It might be the most human of all things. As a goodbye, he left me with two poems he had written, and while they were the classic cutesy love poems, they were still quite touching and well-written.

Almost on cue after my old writer friend left, his void was filled by a younger aspiring drummer/artist. What unfolded next was yet another conversation about life that sprang from his commenting on my impressive level of Spanish, to which I confessed that I loved speaking Spanish because it is fun to play with the accent, surprise people and learn more about a culture by speaking its language with its people. Then that just turned into a conversation about cultural differences between the US and Argentina of which there are many…and I realized that I like a lot more about it than I used to because I am accustomed to it. But then we went back to the idea of despite these differences between all cultures, what holds humanity together? And again, we came back to the idea that humans are humans through and through and we share the same emotions even if we feel, express and understand them differently in different situations. Through the latter part of the conversation, he began to sketch me as I was sitting on the bench. Subconsciously I started posing, making sure that he would catch my good side versus the Nikki that often makes grotesque faces to express grotesque ideas or ridiculous faces just because that’s what I do. After drawing me, to some accuracy, we parted ways, and while I was nervous that he would try and ask me out after the whole debacle, he merely said “un recuerdo para vos” and walked away amongst the huge crowd.

So apparently everyone in Mendoza is just raring to start a conversation about life. I never once talked about the weather despite the fact that before I came to Argentina, that was one of the only topics I felt sure I could really discuss because I doubted my language skills. I wasn’t a beginner by any means, but I was nowhere near the “have a conversation about life with complete fluidity” stage either. Maybe that’s what you should expect from a city known for its wine, as many a blue evenings have been spent discussing life under the red shades of a good glass of vino.

And speaking of vino, it was time for more. Angela came back from mass and we opted to get our free glass of wine from our hostel—and like most other glasses of wine in Mendoza, it was filled almost up to the brim. Maybe that’s not high class, but who invented the glass half full rule?! We were starting to feel like real winos when Ryan told us to hustle down to his hostel. Unfortunately that was on the other side of town where nothing was going on except a greasy pizza place and some street rats. Oh and I guess meeting up with some of his hostel friends from all over Europe. But we still hadn’t eaten dinner yet and weren’t in the mood for grease, so we hit the road with two other Americans who were studying in BA and were in Mendoza for the weekend.

That proved to be somewhat difficult as basically all the restaurants were out of food. Alright, I’ll have a salad and wait 45 minutes to get it. I think we finished dinner around 2 am? But nobody was mad after we parted ways and realized we were all Reddit and or Chive fans. 

1 comment:

  1. I know it's partially your brief impression of each place, but it seems incredible to me that each place you visit seems to have almost an entirely different culture, like a sub-culture based on the region and local atmosphere. I think the U.S. seems to have a more normalized culture, nationalized by the media. Very cool, Nikki

    ReplyDelete