Tuesday, June 19, 2012

La Bomba de Tiempo


Friday, May 25th, 2012
After being here for almost 4 months, I was a little embarrassed that I hadn’t gone to La Bomba de Tiempo yet because it’s one of the top shows in BA. Also, after weeks of feeling too tired to go out, I pulled it together to meet up with my Mendoza buddies. 

I left my house around midnight and arrived just before 1am. I only had to walk 3 blocks from the bus stop to the Konex center but those 3 blocks were undoubtedly a little scary, being that I hadn’t met up with my friends yet. The streets leading up to it are completely trashed in every sense of the word and every step I started walking faster until I heard the noise and saw the crowd waiting in line. $50 later, I made it in and began my search for my friends. In typical study abroad student manner, nobody answered their phone nor responded to any texts so I was standing in the Konex center by myself watching everybody else in their groups of friends having fun, feeling like a huge loser. Finally I ran into Tyler, who luckily still recognized me despite Mendoza having been well over a month ago. They too were on the hunt for Persky. Alright, well I at least had people to talk to. Finally we encountered the rest of the group (none of whom I’d ever met) and I started to get that “I really wish I weren’t here right now” feeling because as the drumming kicked in, so did the drugs, and being that I was compeltely sober, the acid trips starting around me were on a level I couldn’t really fathom. It’s not to say it wasn’t fun, but no había nada que ver entre yo y ellos. So uncomfortable, with people I hardly knew, I started to make my way to the exit because while the drumming was great, other than the high goons around me, nobody else was really getting into the music. How do you just stand there during a percussion concert!? Not to mention that the drummers were total animals. It’s a show just watching their hands and movements. So if you don’t mind going crazy dancing, you’ll enjoy it. Also, the people watching is great. Almost made me think of Seattle at times...

On my way out, I saw some people from my classes and they asked if I was leaving. Not wanting to look like a loser, I played it off like I had gotten separated from my group. I figured I’d at least hang out with them for a bit and see if I had a better time. I was actually having a conversation and dancing out in the open air, so I started to enjoy myself again. I met a guy who could actually dance but felt bad when I had to drop the whole “you’re a great dancer, but I have a boyfriend” line, but regardless we kept dancing at a friendly distance and I had someone to wait with me at the creepy bus stop. You gotta give the guy some credit. Shot down, and was still a gentleman. 

Despite wanting to leave around 2, I didn’t get home until 5:30, reeking of cigarettes and I felt like my eyes were bleeding. I have never been so happy to crawl into bed in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment