Monday, December 31, 2012

The Princess and the Carrot

Thursday, December 27th, 2012
Food taken care of, we had to make a run to the store to take care of any other needs. This meant a trip to Wal Mart, which is almost as uncomfortable for me as staying in a church, but I wasn't in a position to go elsewhere.

We rushed in to buy food, toiletries and anything else we didn't fit in our meager luggage. Admittedly, I am kind of a health nut so when I realized we would be mostly eating PB&J's for lunch and dinner, I was a bit alarmed. In addition to not being all that healthy, they're not all that nourishing and satisfying either. I really didn't want to dish out any unnecessary cash, but I couldn't compromise on vegetables. I picked up some carrots (cheers to Cory, the carrot king) and cucumbers intended for pickling, making them a nice snack size.

While perusing the veggies, I noticed the bags of collared greens, the accent and vernacular of those around me and how they were dressed. I was definitely in the South. And despite being part of the US, I think I would relate to some foreign countries' cultures than I would with the culture here. Not in a derogatory way. It's just that it feels that different to me. Plus, I'm a West Coast girl through and through. Macklemore and Sol will always trump dirty gangster rap.

40 bucks later, I trudged out with my supplies for the week, hoping carrots and Kashi would keep my stomach happy.

Now it's time for bed.
I should probably mention we're sleeping on the cushy congregation chairs that we pushed together. Other than the 6 distinct square outlines comprising my overall area of sleep, I could hardly tell. Nikki, princess of sleep, fell asleep on impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment