Monday, December 31, 2012

Atlanta at Last

Wednesday, December 26th, 2012
We've been meeting up every Thursday for the past 2 months in preparation for this trip, talking about issues we're going to encounter, how to shape our attitudes and beliefs and getting to know our teammates. And now the day is finally here.

As you can see, I had to cut my winter break short and come back to Moscow the day after Christmas. I packed my things in my tiny car, hoping for decent weather and kind of dragged my feet at the thought of leaving. Of course I was excited, but it is hard to leave a comfort zone, heading into the unknown.

I had clear roads and made it safely to Moscow, had time to clean my new apartment and move in a bit (this is going to be an adventure in and of itself...) but before I got too comfortable, it was time to leave again.

We all boarded the bus taking us to Spokane for our flight leaving at the friendly hour of 5am. As sparkling snow collected on the road, I fell asleep freezing, dreaming in Spanish.

We had little troubles checking in and I almost made it through security unscathed, but had to get rechecked because security found something questionable in my suitcase--a half kilo...of mate.
For those of you that didn't keep up with my blogging in Argentina, mate (pronounced maw-tay, not like g'day mate) is the dried leaves of the yerba mate plant that packs a punch of strong flavor and energy. It is the drink of the gods, thus making it the natural national drink of Argentina (just kidding. My Argie ego isn't that big). It looks like drugs, I suppose, and I'm addicted to it like drugs, but the TSA officer just gave me a look suggesting he thought I was some kind of dirty, worldly hippie. But I passed through to board our flight and immediately fell asleep onboard. Which is a new thing for me...

After a long day of traveling, we arrived to the swirling sunset in Atlanta at last. We were exhausted and wanted nothing more than to head to our new "home" but Hertz had some complications. In addition to giving away our reserved rental cars (seriously, what's the deal with rental car reservations. Seinfeld was right), they wouldn't let our advisor pay with his credit card since it didn't match the name on the reservation, even though he represented our university.

Old Nikki would have gone into stress mode. But reformed pseudo-Argentine Nikki sat down and enjoyed some cards and yoga with her peers. I knew we'd get a car and eventually get out of the airport. We did both. So in the meantime, I wasn't going to stress about it. Namasté.

Enterprise didn't seem to have any issues with our situation and gave us the full hook-up with some Dodge Caravans. The Black Knight and the White Stallion rolled out in a strange cavalcade--living up to their names, I suppose. It didn't take long before we passed by the glimmering lights of Atlanta. Some buildings glowed a peach color, fitting, being that Georgia is known for its peaches. I was surprised and impressed by the sparkling architecture, already excited to be somewhere new and was glad that Atlanta was breaking my expectations.

A few Apple maps mishaps later, we found our home base for the trip--Berea Mennonite church. Pastor John awaited us outside and gave us a tour of his sanctuary, which sits on several acres, despite being in the city. He was already amicable and excited to have us.

Now I know what you're thinking--wait, Nikki, you're on a religious service trip?!?! But hold on. While we will be staying at the church and doing work there, it is not a service trip, nor are there any religious components. It merely happened to play out this way. I'm still as non-theist as ever, so it is kind of strange having a glowing cross as my night light, but anyone can appreciate the generosity and compassion of a stranger that hosts you like family. Plus I know next to nothing about Mennonites so I am looking forward to understand their beliefs and background better.

Regardless of religion, hunger is a universal and all of us were praying to the food gods. We were answered by a cute neighborhood pizza joint that put me in an even better mood when I walked in and heard the cool notes of Air's "La Femme D'Argent" floating through the speakers. You're alright, Atlanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment