Saturday, January 5, 2013

Nikki to Homeless Shelter, Bishop to C4

Saturday, December 29th, 2012
Tonight was our first of 3 nights staying at a homeless shelter for men in downtown Atlanta. We arrived with all our cute, fuzzy blankets, iPhones and backpacks packed full and saw the line to get it. At first it was awkward because not only we were "cutting" in line, but also we were unsure of what these men would be like. It didn't take long before we found out, though, because one of them cracked a joke to break the ice and had us laughing in no time. They couldn't believe we'd come all the way from Idaho to volunteer but seemed excited to have us. It definitely caught me off guard.

Admittedly, I came carrying not only a full backpack, but a mind full of stereotypes and ideas about homeless men staying in a shelter. I assumed they'd be the kinds you see on the streets of Seattle, half cracked out with dreadlocks, a ragged beard and body odor following them in a cloud. I trusted that our university would ensure that we would be in a safe environment but I wasn't sure how safe it would be. I felt bad when again my ideas were wrong. These men seemed to be groomed, sane and sober. If you saw them around town, chances are that you wouldn't assume they were homeless.

We migrated to the kitchen to help with the other volunteer group that was serving and preparing dinner and passed out the food. After everyone was served, we dished up too and sat dispersed amongst them. It didn't take long before I could see the camaraderie between some of them, in addition to their manners and humility. They asked me more about Idaho and why we were here which transitioned to asking about my majors in school which always leads to a conversation about traveling. I was surprised further to know that many of them had traveled either through military work or just on their own. My mind was rushing to find out how they'd all gotten here because as the conversation drew on, it became clear that many had college degrees, had family (one even had a fiancé) and glimmers of success in their lives. Sure, some of them were a little strange, but nothing so out of the unordinary as to explain their homelessness completely.

After dinner, I was hoping to get a game of cribbage going with some of the guys I sat next to at dinner, but one of them told me he never played games. Before I had time to be confused, he pointed out a man I'd seen ironing a cloth chess board earlier and told me that he could show me how to play chess. As far as chess goes, I know how the pieces move and that's about it. I know zero strategy and am the kind of person you could checkmate in 10 moves. Tis didn't worry Garlan, who assured he could teach me some classic openings and key moves.

We started with the 4 knights opening, which involves opening with parallel moves by all knights on the board, which can lead to castling the king. That means protecting it behind 3 pawns next to your rook. Next was bishop's opening, which starts by moving the king's pawn out 2 then taking his bishop to C4. This can open up the queen and do serious and "sexy" damage if the opponent is a noob like I am. Garlan was doing a good job explaining how to set the moves up as well as testing my correct execution of them. Chess is notorious for the amount of skill, strategy and focus it requires and it was stressful keeping track of so many things especially in front of someone at a much more advanced level, but considering I'd just gone from not even knowing what C4 was, I was enjoying it...

Garlan also taught me other chessisms, like making sure that you notice when 2 pieces are honing in on 1; if you take first, you finish first; "smell the fear of your opponent" and to not risk something for less than its value. Suddenly, chess seemed more aggressive than passive and each move had to be calculated actively, rather than in defense and retaliation. Maybe I need to be more in touch with my chess side...

It was astonishing. I'd learned chess 101 from a homeless man. But he was more than that. What exactly, I'm not sure, but I relished in his teachings. Something I'd never expected.

But it's also important to note some of the conditions of this shelter. It's not a free for all every night. You have to get on a list. To stay on the list you have to play by the rules, which include being at the shelter every night by 7 pm and staying until you're kicked out by 6 am. Lights out is at 9 pm. Also, you have to be courteous and compliant. If not, you're out. While beggars can't be choosers, I can't say with certainty I'd want to play by these rules every night and day. Food and shelter are non-negotiable but so is autonomy. But perhaps it serves as motivation to get out...

No comments:

Post a Comment