Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Oleeeeee, ole, ole, ole, Messiiiiiiii, Messiiiiiii


Saturday, June 2nd, 2012
Admittedly, I am not a soccer fan. At all. But I would feel a little ashamed of myself knowing that I was in Argentina and didn’t catch one single match, so the Argentina v. Ecuador game was the perfect opportunity. For one thing, it was WAY cheaper than I thought it would be, ~$50, and nobody was stabbed after the game in the typical soccer rivalry violence.

We set out for River Stadium knowing basically how to get there, but then we realized it would be impossible to get lost because there were hundreds of people walking to the stadium decked out in Argentina’s flag and colors. I’ve never really been a sports fan or had “school spirit”, but it was pretty cool to see so many people rooting for their team (and therefore their country). Not to mention, I love the Argentine flag, and it was everywhere. You’d think it was 9 de Julio (Arg. Independence day).
We finally got there (after much ado over which entrance we needed) and while it was horribly windy and cold, with seats made of concrete (that probably haven’t been cleaned since they were made) we were excited, especially as we watched more and more fans pour in. Because it wasn’t a very important game, there was only one section for Ecuador, which they filled in nicely, even coordinating their thunderstick colors to match their flag.

As we waited for the match to start, I realized that the soccer field looked gigantic, but tiny at the same time. When I watch soccer on TV (which is practically never) the fields always look so huge. Like it would take you 10 minutes to run the whole field. But all those aisles up, and it looked like the pee-wee fields I used to play soccer in when I was 9. Then when the players filed onto the field, it seemed immense again as they looked like little specks against the vast greenness. I couldn’t even get a non-blurred photo of the game because the zoom was that close up.

It didn’t take long before I really started getting into the game, but obviously my slight interest was nothing compared to the passion of the people around me. I had a family sitting next to and behind me, and the 10 and 14 year old boys were screaming things that would have gotten my mouth rinsed with soap for things as simple and harmless as failed passes. LA CONCHA DE TU MADREEEEEEE!!!!!! QUE PUTOOOOO! Or just getting mad when anyone on the Argentine team had the ball and didn’t immediately pass it to Messi.

And while I’m about as versed in soccer as I am in molecular biology (which is to say I am not), I was well aware of the god-like status Lionel Messi possesses in the soccer world. Normally he plays for FC Barcelona, but being that he is Argentine, he plays for the national team when appropriate. Normally I am never drawn to athletes because I think they’re over-glorified, over-paid and over-idolized and while I’ll admit they’re talented, I have never liked watching sports so on me, their talent is lost. But Messi…alright I understand the hype because that guy was a one man soccer show. I’m not even really sure he needed any of the other players. His skills are incredible. He could maneuver a ball through just about any situation, at full speed. No wonder the whole world is obsessed with him.

Being that Messi is unstoppable, Ecuador put up their best fight but were unable to score any goals and we won. The crowd went craaaazy. But being that Ecuador is just Ecuador, the crowd was fairly calm. Had this been a Boca/River game (aka the 2 clubs in BA) there probably would have been gunshots and butterfly knives. Who knows. Though we did have to wait until all the Ecuador fans had cleared the stadium to ensure their safety. Which seemed less safe, as the more we waited, the more people seemed to curse the slow Ecuadorians. And despite how offensive and racist porteños can get, they’re in my top 3 things to listen to when they get like that. Sometimes you’d swear they’re speaking Italian/bird/sign language all at once. Nope. Solamente el castellano porteño. It’s a souvenir I wish I could bring with me, because listening to English just sucks now that I’ve heard Argentine Spanish…that's going to be hard to cope with when I get back to the US...but for now DALE ARGENTINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

No comments:

Post a Comment